Creating Community Together in Christ by Kristen Okabayashi, School Principal
Our school theme this year is based upon Matthew 18:20, “Creating Community Together in Christ”. This year as we evolve from a couple of challenging pandemic years, it feels like we could not have a more important theme than creating community together in Christ. We were created for living in community with one another, with Jesus at our center!
Last week at our opening chapel, Kindergarten teacher Jennifer Neafcy spoke about our theme, including defining what community means and why it’s important. She also gave us all great suggestions for creating community in Christ. Some of those ideas shared are:
- Building each other up
- Encourage one another
- Help one another
- Pray for each other
- Forgive each other (this can be a hard one!)
- Celebrate with one another
- Focus on Jesus
I think these are great suggestions for all of us as we journey together in a brand new school year! I have been personally considering how I can create community together in Christ, and one thing I did to move myself forward on that is signing up for Hope Church’s upcoming Women’s Retreat on October 8. How will you work to create community together in Christ this year?
Thank you for being part of our Hope community!
Calendar of Events
Friday 9/9: Last day to submit a Hope apparel order online
Tuesday 9/13 6:00pm: East Coast Trip Meeting on Zoom for Families not signed up yet
Thursday 9/15: Last day to submit a Friday pizza order for first half of year
Friday 9/16: Free Dress Day
Tuesday 9/20 6:00pm-6:30pm: General PTH Meeting in the Sanctuary – earn PIP hours!
Tuesday 9/20 6:30pm-7:45pm: K-8 Curriculum Night
Wed-Fri 9/21-9/23: 6th Grade Outdoor Education
Friday 9/23 6:30-9:00pm: Family Movie Night in the Commons or Sanctuary; arrive by 6:15pm
Friday 9/30 1:00pm: Fall Olympics
Friday 10/7 6:30-9:00pm: Tall and Small Family Ball in the Seattle Lutheran HS Gym. $20/family
Important Uniform/Hope Apparel Information:
Hope PE uniforms and school uniforms: available through Lands End. If you choose a plaid jumper or skirt, be sure to select the Hope uniform “classic navy plaid”. Please note we are discontinuing the royal blue polo shirt so while students can wear them this year, please do not purchase additional polos in the royal blue/cobalt color. Gently Used Uniform Exchange closes 9/7: You are welcome to stop by the school and choose any gently-used clothing items your student may still need. You are also free to keep bringing in any uniform items your child may have outgrown. We will keep this available through Wednesday, 9/7, so feel free to stop by!
Hope Apparel Buy Now Link – https://bngn.blackbaud.school/?id=diio0jbz31h
We only order these Hope apparel items once a year. Take advantage of this opportunity now! Due date is September 9th. LAST WEEK TO ORDER APPAREL FOR THE 2022-23 SCHOOL YEAR!
NEST Hot lunch program is now available 4 days a week (M-Th) during our 1st trimester to all PS – 8th grade families. The registration form is on NEST’s website: http://www.cafestellinacatering.com/NEST-School-Lunch-Program.com orderable and payable on a month-to-month basis. You can also find monthly menus and registration information on their website. Forms may be filled out and scan/email it back to them or send it via snail mail and feel free to contact them with questions at email@example.com. Please note that Hope School does not register or bill for this program.
PIZZA FRIDAYS! PIZZA FRIDAYS! The Hope’s 7th and 8th Grade East Coast Trip Fundraising Group will host pizza for lunch on Fridays! Order your slice and dessert! Your choice of cheese or pepperoni. Make Fridays easy and order now! This lunch service will apply to all Fridays from September 9, 2022 through December 9, 2022. Open to all full-day students at Hope. We will send out reorder forms in December for January – June Fridays. All proceeds from this fundraiser go to the Hope 7th and 8th grade East Coast Trip! Order forms are in the Tuesday envelopes or print form here. All orders must be submitted by September 15, 2022.
School Milk – Begins Wednesday, August 31, 2022
Sports, Milk and Bible Link- https://bngn.blackbaud.school/?id=evqh0rndogb
Parents and Guardians Dropping off Students
Due to continued COVID safety, parents and guardians dropping off students must drop off outside the building each day. Parents and guardians are welcome to stop by the school office at any point; please limit your visits and keep them short. Thank you for your support.
We are excited to welcome parents volunteering in and out of the classroom. In order to volunteer, ALL parents and guardians are required to turn in a background check form. Forms went home in the summer mailing, but if you need one please email the office or pick up a form.
Student Medical Information Update:
If your student requires taking medication during the day, requires an Epi Pen, inhaler or even might need the occasional Benadryl for allergies, ect., the office must have an authorization form filled out and signed by the parent. This form can be obtained in the office or emailed to you and must be on file before medication can be given. All medications will be held in the office. Epi pens should be brought to school by the parent and given to the office on the first day of school.
If there is any change in your student’s medical history or insurance, such as an ADHD diagnosis, new IEP/504 plan, new medication, please email the school office so we can update your student’s history in GradeLink.
Substitute Teachers Needed: We are currently looking for Substitute Teachers. Please visit the Hope School website, please click here to fill out an application or share this opportunity with others. Feel free to pass on this opportunity to others if you know of people looking to sub.
VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES (PIP hours apply!):
- Lunchroom and Recess Volunteer Opportunities: Monday-Friday 11:40 am-12:45 pm in the Fellowship Hall. Volunteers are needed each day for lunch supervision, disinfection, and clean-up. Additionally, we could use one person each day to assist with lunchtime recess Monday-Friday 12:00 pm-1:05 pm. Please contact the Hope office to volunteer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Recess & Lunch Coverage: Friday, September 16: We are currently looking for a volunteer to help us cover recess from 10-10:30am, as well as lunch from 11:40am-12:45pm. Please contact the Hope office to volunteer at email@example.com.
- Pack up Hope Clothing: Wed, September 7: We are looking for assistance in packing up and vacuum sealing the gently used clothing for storage in our Human Care Ministry closet. Please contact the Hope office to volunteer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Hope Church Reader Board Changer: Hope Church’s reader board changer has faithfully served us over the Spring/Summer, but now needs to step down. We are looking for an individual who can change and update the Reader Board for the church either weekly or bi-weekly, depending upon the need. Please contact Patra Mueller @ email@example.com
- Cross Country Assistant Coach or Parent Volunteers: – Attention runners, joggers and walkers! We’re looking for an assistant coach or parent volunteers to help Coach Lana with pace groups once a week from 3:15-4:45 during the Cross Country season, September – October. You don’t need to be a strong runner – joggers and walkers welcome. This is a great opportunity to support student athletes and double down on your workout by getting PIP hours at the same time. Reach out to Lana at firstname.lastname@example.org for more info.
*Cross Country is open for students to come to practice through Sept 16 and check it out to see if it is a fit for them. Encourage your student to join this extracurricular to develop a love of running, a lifelong sport, and grow in self-leadership. Athletic shoes required.
FALL KICK OFF at Hope Church: Everyone is welcome to join us on Sunday, September 11th as we kick off the fall season! Teachers will be recognized at the 10:45 service (new church service time beginning on 9/11/22) followed by lunch and lots of fun together with special activities including a bounce house and dunk tank! Fun for the whole family!