- I Pad Policy- sign and return by Friday, Sept 14th
- Pizza forms due-Thursday Sept 20
WELCOME TO 7th GRADE
WOW, what a FANTASTIC day! Thank you for sharing your kids with me. I am really looking forward to this year and working with each and everyone of them. This week we will be learning all about how middle school works, team building, schedules and setting up 7th grade standards.
A few things about 7th grade:
- I will be regularly sending emails out with 7th grade information and encourage you to email me when needed.
- Yellow communication envelope will be coming home every Tuesday. Please take a minute to read the information that is send home and look through the envelope as there are often time sensitive forms.
- I-Pads- we are hoping to have these by this Friday (9/7).
- Please have all school supplies by this Friday, (9/7).
School milk can be purchased for grades preschool – 8th. We are offering 2% ½ pints of Smith Brothers milk and will continue to offer chocolate milk on Wednesday’s.
Forms can be found online through K12 using your students ID & access key.Hot Lunch Program – Begins tomorrow Wednesday, Sept. 5, 2018
Hope is pleased to again offer NEST Hot Lunch by Café Stellina Catering. Locally sourced and organic lunches will be provided on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays beginning Wednesday, September 5. Hot lunch is available to all K-8 students as well as full day preschool students, orderable and payable on a month-to-month basis. The registration form is on NEST’s website: http://www.cafestellinacatering.com/NEST-School-Lunch-Program.html. You may fill it out and scan/email it back to them or send it via snail mail and feel free to contact them with questions at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note the Hope School does not register or bill for this program.
- Author’s Night is TONIGHT 7:00-8:00- All are welcomed and I have offered extra credit to any student who shows up. Please come celebrate all of our amazing authors!
- 8th Grade Reception: It is the tradition that the 7th grade parents help host the reception for the 8th grade graduation. Please see the attached for more information.
- Miller family support: Allie (one of our fabulous 7th graders) and her family is going to Mexico this summer with St. Paul’s church on a mission trip. There is an auction/dinner is this Saturday (5/5) at SLHS and all are welcomed. Singles $15, Couples $25, and table for 6-$65. You can either register online at www. Saintpaulsmission.org or call April at 206-612-2457.
- Field Trips: there are two forms attached to this email. The first one is for alternative PE. This needs to be signed and return by TOMORROW, May 2.
- Bainbridge Island, (see attached form)- We need drivers- please complete and return by Monday, May 7th.
- Reminder that I PADs need to be charged and ready to go for class. I tell the students that not having these charged is coming to class unprepared. Please help support this at home.
Week of April 16-20
- AUCTION: It is not to late to RSVP for Hope’s Auction, Saturday, April 22. It will be a fun event and one you won’t want to miss.
- Special Treat for Art Elective students:Artist John Connors will be working with students in Art elective on how to create beautiful watercolor paintings “en plein air” He will talk to the class about his experience as an artist, do a demonstration for the class, and then guide them through their own watercolor paintings.
- Field Trip– Storm Game and S.T.E.M.- See attached field trip form-A form is also coming home today in the communication envelopes. Please return no later than Friday of this week. An extra PIP hour is available for those who drive.
Have a great week!
- Research Project: 7th graders have a research paper due Monday, April 30th. They can research a topic of their choice, see the attached for the directions. We will be using class time as well as they will need to work on this outside of class. The students have come up with some very interesting topics.
Week of March 5-9
Final Schedule Confirmation:
- Thursday: Math Test
- Friday: Literacy Project Due at the beginning of the period
All late work must be turned in by this FRIDAY, MARCH 9
No School MONDAY, MARCH 12- Teacher work day for the end of trimester 2.
Donuts with Dad! – TOMORROW at 8 AM
Calling all Dads or special guests! Start your day with delicious donuts and put a smile on your child’s face. PTH will serve donuts, coffee, juice, and milk in the Commons. We will gather in the church commons at 8:00 AM. Students must be in class by 8:30 AM. However, you are welcome to mingle and then join the Hope students at chapel starting at 8:40 AM.
- Week of February 26-March 2
- Believe it or not, the end of the 2nd trimester is upon us! The students will have finals next week March 8-9.
- Math and History will be on Thursday, March 8
- Literacy project (in place of final) due on Friday, March 9
- Science is still TBD
- The 7th grade Literacy Final for this trimester is a project. The students will be creating a story board showing the concepts of Man vs. Man, Man vs. Nature, Man vs. Society, Man vs. Self and Man vs. Technology. They will use the concepts from the book Across Five Aprils that we have read in class.
- FRIDAY, MARCH 2 in Literacy class we will be having a “read in” to celebrate national reading day. Students should bring in their books, cozy blankets, pillows, “stuffies”, snacks etc. All minutes read count towards reading logs!
- New elective slips are coming home in today’s communication envelope, please return these by MONDAY, MARCH 5
Week of January 29-Feb. 2
Happy New Year 7th grade parents-
Hotel Reservations: families who are attending LEST this year, please remember to book your hotel rooms as soon as possible, no later than January 23, 2018, as we have a limited number of rooms reserved and the discounted rate block will be released after the 23rd. Rooms can be reserved by calling Embassy Suites – Portland Airport directly at (503) 460-3000 no later than January 23, 2018 or until the room blocks are booked. The discounted rate is $144 per night, which is a fantastic rate for that hotel.
LEST Schedules: We typically hear from Concordia Portland mid-January with the first schedule of LEST events and will send home more information to traveling families at that point. The first events Thursday, February 15, will be basketball games (time TBD) and Knowledge Bowl which begins at 10:30 AM, along with opening ceremonies at 3:00 PM and the swim meet at 4:30 PM. Closing ceremonies will be Saturday February 17 at 3:00 PM. You may find more information about LEST by clicking here https://hls.hopeseattle.org/events/lest/. If you have other scheduling questions, feel free to contact Mrs. Okabayashi at email@example.com or your child’s event coach. Go Eagles!
7th grade Literacy
This next week the students will be writing a paper of their choice- they can choose from either an expository, persuasive or free write style narrative. We will be going over each form and the requirements and then they will work on these in class and home. They will also practice editing concepts. I look forward to reading their writings.
As always, be sure to contact me with any questions, blessings to you all.
Week of Dec. 11-15, 2017
- Class Party on Friday at 10:00 Thank you to Karlynn for coming up with a craft project and Maari and Sam for providing cookies and decorations. Our substitute teacher is Bridget Lawler and she will appreciate all the help.
- Students should bring their secret Santa gift and their snacks for the party on Friday morning
- The student received a project based around the novel The Pearl that we read. They are creating the front page of a newspaper with a total of 4 different articles based around specifics of our story. They have a handout explaining in details of the assignments. This will be worked on in class, but there could be some homework too. There will be a final test on the book next week.
- PTH is planning to serve beverages before/after the Sounds of Winter Concert on December 13. They are looking for volunteers to bring a light refreshment to share. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up.
- If you haven’t already please go to signup genius and sign up if you are able to contribute. Please have everything in by this Friday as we will spend time wrapping the gifts during our class meeting time. Looks like we could still use a girls XL sweatshirt and long sleeve shirts any color but pink. If you would like to contribute gift cards that too is an option.
THANK YOU for showing so much generosity!
- I will be working with the kids on Friday to talk about food and ask them to sign up for items to bring in, I’m sure they will share this with you.
- We will start our party at 10:00, school dismisses at 12:00 this day and just a reminder there will be a substitute as I will be in Arizona at my daughters college graduation!
Week of November 13-17, 2017
- Canned food drive is under way. 7th grade has an empty bin- can you help fill it? Class contests are going on and the winning class gets a free dress, plus it helps fill Hope’s food pantry!
- 7th grade Christmas party– I need your help! I will be in Arizona on this day, Friday, Dec. 15 for my daughters college graduation. The kids will have a sub, but I would love it if I could get some parents volunteers to help with the Christmas party. If you are willing please email me.
- WDC fundraiser is Thursday night at the American Diner in the junction from 5-10. A great way to get out of cooking dinner and support the students going to WDC.
- Also coming home today is Trimester2 Elective forms. Please complete these and return by this Friday, Nov. 17th
Week of November 6-10, 2017
I really appreciate all the time and effort everyone took to come and meet with us teachers during parent teacher conferences last week. It is such a valuable time to connect and partner with you when it comes to your kind, loving and fun children. I do have to say it is also great to be back with the kids!
- First of all, I apologize for the late notice, but 7th graders will be leading chapel tomorrow. We will be sharing about temptation. The devil and even Jesus himself will be joining us- come join us too if you can.
- It is already that time of year- FINALS! Finals are scheduled for Monday and Tuesday, Nov. 20 & 21. The students will be finishing a grammar unit as well as get their study guide in literacy at the beginning of next week. It is so hard to believe that the first trimester is over- this year is flying by!
- Please be sure to check the yellow communication envelope for information about; Donuts with Dad, Open House, Dine out for D.C. and Hopecoming 18- there are a lot of fun events coming up.
- Also being sent home are school pictures!
- Lastly- Student Council is holding a canned food drive-please help fill our bin!
Week of October 23, 2017
In Literacy we will start a Narrative Writing Unit entitled; “Walking In Someone Else’s Shoes. This is our first formal writing that we have done this year. We will be working on organization in telling a story with a beginning, middle and end.
A few things this week:
- This Saturday is our Fall Frolic from 4:30-7:30 at SLHS gym. If any 7th graders is able to volunteer there is a need. You can go to Hope’s website to sign up. PIP hours apply!
- The Book Fair is next week, our class will be helping set this up. It’s an opportunity to have a bookstore right outside our classroom door.
- ITBS testing is the next two weeks. I have already let the kids know. This is a time to be sure to get plenty of rest and bring in extra healthy snacks.
- Next week is Parent Teacher Conferences. Please make sure to send in your 3 options of times/days to conference. I will be putting the schedule together on Thursday morning and then sending home a slip with your conference time/day. I look forward to meeting with everyone.
Week of October 16, 2017
I have to take a moment to brag about these 7th graders!
Week of October 2, 2017
7th Grade parents,
- Coming home in the communication envelope this week is picture order forms. Picture day/time for seventh grade is Wednesday, Oct. 11 at 11:45. Students can wear their uniforms or “church” attire outfits.
- Remember it is not too late to sign up for the Orange Ruler fundraiser, sign up at http://orangeruler.com/
- This Thursday from 6-8 pm, at Seattle Lutheran High School is the showing of the movie Angst a documentary that is breaking the stigma around Anxiety. It is free and open to the community. Recommended for parents and students ages 12 and up.
- A reminder to be sure to be checking Chalkable with your child. For my literacy class I did hand out a missing work form for anyone who was receiving a grade lower than 70%. They should be talking directly to their teachers about any questions on assignments or tests. Get those weekly reading logs turned in!!
Week of September 25, 2017
“Jumping to Conclusions”, “Intent verses Impact” and “What did you hear me say.” These were the topics of our class meeting this past week. The students had chances to experience these concepts and we will continue to talk and roll play these type of situations.
- Student council speeches and votes are tomorrow (9/27) right after chapel, we have John, McKenzie and James all running in our class- Good Luck!
- Fall Olympics is this Friday, students will meet with their teams tomorrow. Come to school on Friday dressed in your team colors- it will be a fun day!
- It’s not to early to be thinking about H.S. A flyer is coming home today with upcoming open houses.
- PTH meeting on Wednesday Oct. 4th at 6:00, this is a great opportunity to meet other families and get involved in activities.
- Picture day is Oct. 9th- see flyer in communication envelope
I hope to see everyone tonight (9/19) at 7:00 for our curriculum night, we will all meet in the church.
- Parent login information to our new grading/homework portal.
- Pizza and Burrito lunch form that needs to be returned by Wednesday, Sept. 27.
- Picture Day is coming up on Oct. 9-see form to order
- Orange Ruler Info.
- AND last but not least, this will be the last week to sell those Chinook books, please plan on either returning your book or $ this Friday 9/22.
As we ended our first week I asked the students what the best part of their week was, the majority answered, “seeing my friends”. It’s been so great to see them catching up, hanging out and reconnecting.Week 2 is underway and believe it or not, we have already had students out because of sickness, boo hoo! A cold has defiantly hit us so I got the hand sanitizer out, but please make sure that everyone is getting plenty of rest and covering coughs etc. If your child does miss school, please make sure they are talking to their teachers to find out about missing work. In my class, there is a tray that the students can find any handouts, notes etc. that they might have missed. It is their responsibility to get these and talk to me if they need clarification on what they need to do.
Chalkable– this is the online system that we are using this year to post homework and grades. The students will be receiving training on how to access their homework and grades this week. I think they will find it user friendly, but please be sure to ask questions when they come up.
A few reminders:
- I-Pad contracts are being sent home today, please read and sign. I-Pad will be sent home once these contracts are signed and returned.
- Chinook books should be sold or returned by FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 22.
Save the Date, Upcoming events:
- October 4, PTH meeting 6:00 p.m.
- October 5, Seattle Lutheran High School will be sharing the movie Angst. This film looks at anxiety, its causes and effects and what we can do about it.This is open to the community and recommended for ages 10 and up.
- It’s not to early to be thinking about High School, as open houses are shared with us, I will be sure to send them out to you. There will be an Open House for Seattle Lutheran High School, Thursday, October 26, 2017 from 7:00 – 8:30 PM
Make it a SUPER week.
Welcome to 7th grade. I pray that your summer was full of rest and that you are all ready to ease back into the school year.