It stands for the Lutheran Elementary Schools Tournament and is hosted every February by Concordia University in Portland. The first LEST was held in 1962 with four Portland area schools participating in a boys basketball tournament. A few years later a volleyball competition was added for the girls. As word of the tournament spread, schools from out of the Portland area (Idaho, Montana, California, Nevada, Oregon, and Washington) began traveling by train, plane, or bus to participate in LEST. Over the years, additional activities and competitions were added, and there are now more than 15 individual and/or team events in which students can participate. Over 1000 fifth through eighth graders from as many as 21 Lutheran elementary schools from around the northwest now attend LEST every February.
What is the goal of LEST?
The primary goal of LEST is to provide an organized structure to promote fun, skill development, fair play, and fellowship among Lutheran elementary school youth through academic, athletic, and recreational activities. The tournament is always held on the Thursday through Saturday before the third Monday of the month in February.
All of Hope’s fifth through eighth graders are encouraged to participate in LEST. Students may participate in one or more of the competitions. Most competitions have a certain number of participants that are allowed from each school, so just because a student signs up to participate in an event doesn’t mean that he/she will be chosen to be Hope’s LEST representative in that event. For most events teachers will either chose the participant(s) for a certain event or we will have in-school competitions to determine the students who will represent Hope at LEST. Also, some events such as basketball and cheerleading are limited to certain grade levels.
LEST 2019 Results LEST 2019 Hope Awards
LEST Master Schedule: LEST 2019 Master Schedule
LEST 2019 Schedule – January 30 schedule
Swimming Schedule: LEST 2019 Swim Meet Information
Cheer Competition Schedule: LEST 2019 Cheer and Dance – order of appearance
Basketball Brackets for Boys and Girls: Basketball brackets – LEST 2019 – as of 1-21-19
LEST Drama Schedule: Friday, February 15, 2019 3:00 PM – Drama performance “The Apple” – CU Fine Arts
LEST Knowledge Bowl Schedule:
Thursday, February 14, 2019
10:15 AM – Knowledge Bowl team rules – Concordia University (CU) Hagen Center SEAC
11:15 AM – Knowledge Bowl first match (matches continue after that) – CU Hagen Center SEAC
Visit official site here for up-to-date schedules, purchase of game passes and general information – http://www.cu-portland.edu/admission/lutheran-elementary-school-tournament
A few notes about LEST:
LEST is a few weeks away and the planning team is continuing to work on all of the details as we get ready for LEST 2019!
A few notes about basketball:
- We will again have two divisions: AA and A. School enrollment in grades 5 through 8 and previous team performance and bracket placement were used to determine the placement of teams in the two divisions for LEST 2018. Please note that the brackets are still “tentative” and there may still be some changes.
- All schools will have the opportunity to play at least two games.
- Some teams will have the possibility of two games on Friday and/or Saturday, so follow the brackets carefully to determine the possible days and times for games.
- Basketball Brackets: LEST Basketball Bracket
A few notes about the schedule:
- The Opening Ceremony will begin at 3:00 – 3:45 pm on Thursday. This year the entire Knowledge Bowl will be finished before the Opening Ceremony.
- Glee Club will perform sometime between 9 am and 2 pm in the Choral Festival.
- The first basketball game is Thursday at 1:15 pm in the Concordia University gym.
- Swimming will again be Thursday evening at the David Douglas Aquatic Center in SE Portland from 4:30 to 8 pm.
- The Robotics competition will be held on Saturday morning in SEAC between 8:30 and 12. There will be some robotics practice time late in the afternoon on Friday.
- The first few rounds of the Chess Tournament will be held on Friday afternoon from 3 pm to 6 pm and the concluding rounds will be held on Saturday morning beginning at 8:30 am.
- Music judging times.
10:24 AM – John M piano – CU St. Michael’s Sanctuary
10:40 AM – Isaiah G piano – CU Luther 300
11:20 AM – Addie K vocal – CU St. Michael’s Fellowship Hall
10:24 AM – Hannah M piano – CU Luther 300
10:32 AM – Annina P piano – CU Luther 300
LEST Hotel Reminder
If you haven’t already, be sure to book your hotel room. As mentioned previously, again this year we have booked the Embassy Suites, Portland Airport. The room rate for a two double bed suite is $144, which includes a delicious and bountiful complimentary breakfast for all, happy hour drinks and appetizers, indoor pool, and refrigerators/microwaves in each suite. Rooms are reserved under “Hope Lutheran School” and can be reserved by calling the hotel directly at (800) 821-5879 or online at www.embassysuitesportlandairport.com (block code: HLS) no later than January 25, 2018 or until they are fully booked.
LEST Spirit Days
All students in preschool through 8th grade are invited to join us in spirit days as we gear up for LEST!
Spirit Dress-Up Days: