Seventh- and eighth-graders have the option to participate in the East Coast trip every other year. Dates, costs, and a sample itinerary are given to students at the beginning of their sixth or seventh grade year. Detailed information and plans for fundraising to defray some of the expenses are planned in the spring and fall. Sites such as the Washington Monument, the White House, Arlington Cemetery, Mt. Vernon, and the Vietnam Memorial are just a few of the amazing places students experience during their trip.
To learn more about this special trip, please see the FAQs updated June 2019
Hope 7th and 8th Grade Families – Jan. 26, 2021
Thank you to the many of you who filled out the recent survey for the East Coast Trip. As you all know, it is uncertain what travel will look like in the coming months. With many 8th grade families cancelling or indicating they did not plan to go on the trip this spring or summer, it does not make sense to travel this year. As a result, I have elected to move our 2021 trip to April 29- May 5, 2022. I’m excited to travel with those of you who can join us next year. While I understand many current 8th graders will not want to join us, please know that you are welcome.
If you are able to join us in 2022, you don’t need to do anything. Your account will be pulled forward. You can expect to see a small increase as the program moves to a new travel year as some small adjustments were made to the trip components. I’ve been working with Worldstrides to minimize the pricing changes despite having a smaller group traveling.
If a participant is unable to join us on our new dates, here’s an outline of the current cancellation policy:
- The Full Refund Program provides a full refund of all monies paid to WorldStrides, minus the Full Refund Program fee and non-refundable fees, if the participant finds it necessary to cancel for any reason prior to departure.
- Normally, anyone who did not purchase the Full Refund Policy at the time of registration or during a special enrollment period this fall would fall under our Standard Cancellation Policy. However, a special exception has been extended to the families at Hope Lutheran and they will receive a similar cash refund.
If you have already indicated your intention to cancel to WorldStrides in writing, no action is required on your part to begin the refund process. Please note your exact refund amount may vary depending on what you’ve paid in toward your trip cost at this time and any handling/late fees you may have incurred. If you wish to cancel, please reach out directly to WorldStrides’ Customer Support at 800-468-5899 or CustomerService@worldstrides.com. If you’ve cancelled your trip and wish to join us in 2022, you can contact WorldStrides and ask to be reinstated and receive full credit for any monies withheld including any FLAG scholarship awards.
Due to the high volume of refunds being processed, WorldStrides has asked for your understanding on timing. Families can expect to receive refunds in 10-12 weeks.
The team at WorldStrides asked me to share their appreciation for your patience and understanding in these unprecedented times. You may be interested in seeing all the WorldStrides has been doing to prepare for travel. You will find lots of information on their Back to Travel Safely webpage.
Lastly, we have a 2-3 new 7th grade families who are not signed up for the trip. I’ll send more information soon about registering for the trip for anyone who has not signed up yet.
Warmly, Kristen Okabayashi, Principal, Hope Lutheran School
Trip Update (6/4/19):
Worldstrides will be leading the trip in 2021. If you missed the parent meeting June 4th, below is some basic information covered. More information regarding the trip will be emailed to parents as it becomes available.
Notes from Parent meeting (6/4/19):
We had a great meeting last night about our 2021 East Coast trip to Washington D.C., Gettysburg and New York. I wanted to send along some information to you about what we covered at the meeting.
- It’s only a small initial $49 deposit to sign up. Then the remaining amount is spread out over the months leading up to the trip. The deadline to register and save $150 is on or before June 13th.
- Use Trip ID 177711 to sign up through one of three easy ways: online at worldstrides.com/signup, by phone at 800-468-5899, or by mail by completing the registration form included in your student invitation.
- Be sure to use promo code WS2021Trip when signing up to receive your discounted trip price by June 13th.
WorldStrides provides many helpful options to help you pay for your trip. Check these out:
- FLAG financial assistance where over $2 million in assistance is given out each year to qualifying families
- Gift of Education Fundraising program which includes E-Cards and shareable Facebook Links
- Payment plans may also be available. Call WorldStrides Customer Service to learn more at 800-468-5899
I’ll also send out a separate email regarding Hope fundraising opportunities.
I encourage you to take a look at this video – it shows just how much fun and how impactful these trips are for students.
Please let me know if you have any questions. I look forward to leading a fun and educational program for your child!
Also feel free to contact our WorldStrides Representative Marisa Poole directly with any questions at 877-452-7424 or email her at email@example.com
Principal, Hope Lutheran School
Hot Lunch Form 2019-2020
Fundraising Proposal Form
If you have a fundraiser that you feel would be a good fit for the Washington D.C. enrichment program, please fill out this form and submit to the school office. All fundraisers MUST be approved first by the Principal. Please allow at least 30 days for approval.
Proceeds benefit the Hope Lutheran Middle School Washington D.C. enrichment program.