Advent Season by Kristen Okabayashi
Advent is a time of waiting, a time of preparation for the coming of Jesus with His birth. It is a time for preparing our hearts with faith and welcoming Jesus’ arrival with love, peace and happiness. As we prepare for Christmas, please join us in the many Advent events we offer through Hope school and church. We would love to see you!
- Elementary (grades 1-5) Christmas Concert – Wed December 5 at 7:00 PM
- Early Childhood (preschool/kindergarten) Advent Performance –Fri Dec 7 at 6:30 PM
- Sanctuary Christmas Decorating – Sat Dec 8 at 9:00 AM
- Gift Wrapping Party for Giving Tree donations – Sun Dec 9 noon to 6:00 PM
- Sunday School Christmas Program – Sun December 9 at 10:30 AM church service
- Sounds of Winter (middle school) Concert – Wed Dec 12 at 7:00 PM
- Single Church Service – Sun Dec 23 10:00 AM
- Christmas Eve Family Services – Mon Dec 24 4:00 PM and 6:00 PM
- Christmas Eve Candlelight Service – Mon Dec 24 11:00 PM
- Christmas Day Service – Tues Dec 25 10:30 AM
Wed. 12/5: 8:40 AM Chapel led by 5th Grade / 7:00 PM Christmas Concert Grades 1-5
Fri. 12/7: 6:30 PM Preschool & Kindergarten Christmas Program
Wed. 12/12: 8:40 AM Chapel led by 1st Grade / 7:00 PM Sounds of Winter Concert
Dec. 13 – 19: Christmas Spirit Dress Up Days Sponsored by Student Council
Noon Dismiss December 19th for Christmas Break
No School or ESC December 20th to January 2nd for Christmas Break & New Year
Extended School Care & Sand Dollar Club Closures
Please note that our Extended School Care and Sand Dollar Club will be closed during Christmas/New Year’s break starting Thursday, December 20 through Tuesday, January 2, 2019. Both programs will resume on Wednesday, January 3, 2019.
December Chapel Offerings
Are you thirsty? Billions of people all over the world don’t have clean water! Hope Lutheran Church and School are making a difference with Living Water International. All of our December chapel offerings will support Living Water and all offerings will be matched up to $15,000 by a very generous donor. Thank you for sharing clean water in the name of Jesus.
Christmas Spirit Dress-Up Days – Dec. 13-19
Your Student Council is hosting a fun week of spirit dress up days! Please note that if you chose not to participate on these days school uniforms must be worn.
Thursday Dec.13 – Holiday socks & tights (worn with your school uniform)
Friday Dec.14 – Holiday hats, antlers, headbands (worn with your school uniform)
Monday Dec.17-“Merry Monday Morning”- come to school in your winter pjs like its Christmas morning!
Tuesday Dec.18 – Holiday scarves, ties, jewelry (worn with your school uniform)
Wednesday Dec.19 -Red/green clothes, Christmas sweaters & sweatshirts
Gifting That Gives Back
Find gifts for everyone on your list while raising funds for Hope Lutheran School with the holiday gift guide. Shop gift cards from over 750 top brands, including Best Buy, Amazon, Nordstrom, The Home Depot and more. Whether you buy the gift cards to give as presents to family and friends, or to use them to buy your gifts—our organization earns with every gift card purchased. It’s simple, it’s thoughtful and it’s truly the gift that keeps on giving. Shop the gift guide at ShopWithScrip.com/GiftGuide and order Scrip today!
School Clubs at Hope – Click Here
Rainbow Parrot Art Workshop is offering a winter session at Hope School. We’re going to be making gingerbread houses!! Register: Cost: $185 but use coupon code RAINBOW before Dec. 6th and get a 5% discount. (Includes all materials, snacks, prizes) https://www.rainbowparrotart.com/workshops
**Correction from the flyer that got sent home: This workshop is offered on site, at Hope Lutheran (not Seattle Lutheran).** Session 1.2: Thursdays Dec. 13, Jan. 10, Jan. 17, Jan. 24, Jan. 29, Feb. 7. Time: 3:00-5:00pm. Eligibility: Grades K-5.
Projects: Gingerbread houses, Native American wolf masks, ceramic ducks, inventors’ lab, Andy Warhol portraits, Zentangle dragonflies.
New Middle School Book Club – Middle School elective teacher Emily Tanis-Likkel and her high school daughter Eva will be leading a new after school Book Club on Thursdays, started November 29. No sign up required. Students will need to obtain a copy of books that are selected. We will meet from 3:00-4:00 PM. Contact Emily at email@example.com for more information.
Parent Involvement Program or PIP Opportunities – Need PIP Hours?
Furniture Pick Up: Hope School is in need of assistance in picking up the following items (2 different locations):
- Refrigerator (36″ across, 70″ tall, 31″ deep) picked up from Georgetown. We would need a truck most likely and two persons to help move it. The fridge would be moved from the truck to the school staff room on 2nd floor. Then the old refrigerator has to be taken to be disposed of. School will reimburse for this cost. Date to pick up would be Dec/ 14th.
- Sectional couch and credenza, pick up from same location, drop off locations in West Seattle.
- Need 3 Choir risers from Concordia Tacoma. Pick up time is preferable to Mons-Weds between 10:15 and 3 pm; however a weekend could work if prearranged. Thad Franklin would be assisting, but would need a truck and 1 other person to help load and unload risers.
Please email Sally Heit, firstname.lastname@example.org if you can help. Thank you!
Lunch/Recess Help: Still looking for help with Lunch and recess duties on Tuesdays, lunch duty on Wednesdays and recess duty on Fridays. Contact Mrs. Wallace at email@example.com.
Pacific Science Center Van: Assistance is needed with our Pacific Science Center van on Tuesday, January 15th. This can be a ½ or full day commitment. Two volunteers are needed to help students through the exhibit area and 2 volunteers with our Planetarium. Will need help at the end of the day to load everything up. Please call Mrs. Wallace at 206-935-8500 if you are available.
Church News & Activities – Click Here
Christmas Worship Services at Hope Church:
¨ December 23 Single Combined Service 10:00 a.m.
¨ December 24 Christmas Eve Family Contemporary: 4:00 p.m.
¨ December 24 Christmas Eve Family Contemporary: 6:00 p.m.
¨ Christmas Eve Candlelight & Communion Service: 11:00 p.m.
¨ Christmas Day Worship Service: 10:30 a.m.