Preschool Life by Christina Figgins, Preschool 3s Teacher
Three weeks into school and the P-3 Sea Star Class is becoming familiar with the routines of school. Here is a day in the life of a 3 year old preschool student at Hope:
- Say goodbye to mom or dad. This was the first week without tears. Yay!
- Arrival/free play. The kids feed Mr. Nibbles, our class pet guinea pig. Then they move on to play dough, coloring or making pretend breakfast in the play kitchen area. They always make Mrs. Figgins some coffee. J
- Clean up time. This is not our favorite activity, but we are all learning to stop playing and put things away.
- Circle time. We read stories, sing songs, have in depth conversations about cuts and scrapes (this is a very important topic for 3 year olds), and freeze dance.
- Centers. Creativity and imagination soar as the children work on art projects, explore the sensory table, or perform dramatic play scenarios. This month we have been working on building houses using an assortment of different sized boxes. The kids have made castles, dog houses and cages for wild animals. It’s amazing what fun cardboard boxes, tape and glue sticks can be.
- Snack time. A favorite activity and one that is asked about often. “How much longer until snack?!”
- Outside Play Time. We alternate between using the climber, garden area and blacktop area. This month we have been blessed with many fresh fruits growing in our garden space. The kids have been harvesting grapes, apples, and tomatoes. They used scissors to cut the grapes off the vine and they learned how to twist the apples off the tree. Our apple tree produces red and green apples. After having a taste test, the red apples won.
- Back inside for goodbyes. Using name recognition the kids locate their places on the carpet, and we sing the “Goodbye Song.” We’re still learning each other’s names and becoming friends.
Phew! We’re off to a great start. And I can’t wait to see where we go from here!
Calendar of Events
Tues. 9/23: 5:30 PM WA D.C. Meeting for Parents / 6:30 PM Curriculum Night for Parents of K-8 Grades
Wed. 9/24: 8:40 AM Chapel – Led by Patra Mueller w/1st & 2nd Graders Singing / 5:00 PM Cheer Try Outs Gr. 5-8
Thurs. 9/25: 5:00 PM Cheer Try Outs Gr. 5-8
Fri. 9/26: 1:00 PM Fall Olympics, Gr. K-8 / 4:00 PM WA D.C. Bowl-A-Rama Fundraiser
Chapel Offering Designation
Once again this year through our chapel offerings we will be supporting our child through Compassion International. His name is Christopher and he is 7 years old. He is from Ghana, West Africa. Take a moment to talk to your child about this special opportunity to care for Christopher. His address is available in the school office if your child would like to write him a letter.
Coming on October 27th, we are so excited to host Orange Ruler’s Fun Run program at our school. There will be a fun run, pig race, and lots of prizes for the kids. We will be hosting this fundraiser to kick-start a fund toward new school buses. Don’t get your trainers out just yet, more details to come in the next few weeks. Volunteers needed for this event – check PIP Opportunities on website.
Afterschool Book Club
5th-8th graders who love to read are invited to come to Book Club. We will meet on the second and fourth Mondays from 3:00-3:45pm in the school library. Click here for more info.
School Directory & Handbook
Our school directory and family handbook will be distributed next Tuesday, September 30th.
PIP Opportunities – Click Here
Recess Help Needed
Thank you to those of you who have volunteered to help with lunch or recess duty; if you are interested in helping and have not signed up yet, please contact us in the school office as we still need help. We will always have a staff person on duty as well. Recess duty is from 12:05-1:05 in the north playground and then the lowers playground. PIP volunteer hours apply! You can also sign up for every other week if you are only available then.
Hope Church Membership Class
HOPE 101- The new member information class is coming in October!! Classes will begin Wednesday, October 8 – Wednesday, November 19, 7:00-8:30 pm taught by Pastor Peter. If you are transferring from another LCMS congregation, we ask that you participate in the first two classes. Upon completion of the class, new members will be welcomed into the Hope family on Sunday, November 23 at the 10:30 service. Questions or to sign up, please contact email@example.com. We are so excited to help you make Hope your church home!