WOH For Tuesday, May 3, 2022
Third Graders Are Awesome People by Mary Norton, Third Grade Teacher
I smile at the beginning of the year as they trudge up the stairs from second grade. They haul their backpacks, some are rolling and others carry them on their backs. They stop at the top of the stairs huffing and puffing and continue down the hall with an expectant and uncertain shuffle. It only takes a couple of weeks and third graders are sprinting up the stairs and down the hall with the reminder to…walk!
We greet each other with our “Good mornings” and begin our day, week, month, year. One of my favorite ideas to share with third graders is by the end of the year they will be able to do all the math. Well, not quite, but third grade is the year of addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. We throw in some geometry, fractions, and probability. Third graders discover that cursive writing is not only pretty, it is also good for the brain. Third graders explore different authors and discover the genres of books they enjoy. Third graders realize they can take on their own work and be responsible.
Third graders practice conflict resolution and practice listening to others and expressing their own hurts and feelings. I get a glimpse of the young adult they are becoming and I am filled with hope.
The best part of being a third grader is knowing that Jesus loves them. God’s love is unconditional.
So as the end of the year is nearing, I know third graders are ready for their next challenge.
Calendar of Events – Click Here
Monday, 5/2 – Friday, 5/6 – Teacher Appreciation Week
Saturday, 5/7 – PTH Online Auction
Wednesday, 5/11 – Talent Show at SLHS Gym – 1:15pm
Tuesday, 5/17 – Middle School Spring Concert – Time TBD
Athletic Events – Click Here
2022-2023 School Year Tuition Contracts
Most tuition contracts, along with financial aid contracts have been sent home and are now past due. Please fill them out completely, sign, and return them to the office as soon as possible. You can do this in-person, through the mail, or via email. Please call the office with any questions or concerns.
2022-2023 Hope Lutheran Calendar
Today, we are sending home the basic calendar for the 2022-2023 school year. A more detailed calendar for the year, as well as the Preschool/ESC calendar will come out over the summer. Click here for a copy of the calendar.
THE FINAL Super Newsletter!
The Incredible Virtual Super Auction May 7th 9:00am – 9:00pm
This is it Hope superheroes, the final newsletter for The Incredible Virtual Super Auction! Don’t forget superhero dress up on Friday!
- Please visit: https://hopeseattle.ejoinme.org/superhero for tickets and lots of sneak peaks. Tickets available through May 7th. Only one ticket per family required.
- Auction items won need to be picked up Sunday May 8th between 2:00-5:00pm in the north parking lot. Drive up, give us your name and we will bring the items to your car. We do realize that that this is Mother’s Day, but we must move all items out of the school.
- Preview all items and get your wish list ready on Friday. A large number of items will be released at 9:00 am Saturday morning with the rest available at 5:00pm. Be sure to check in!
- Gather your family and friends and enjoy dinner with discounts form these amazing restaurants:
- Pegasus Pizza (Alki): 20% discount; just mention you are from Hope (on May 7th)
- Seattle Fish Company (WS Junction): 15% discount; Discount code: Hope22 (on May 7th)
- Buho (White Center): 15% discount; Discount code: Hope22 (on May 7th)
- Three 9 Lounge/Tiki Bar (West Seattle Bowl): 20% of proceeds from Friday, 4/6 -Sunday, 4/7 for those mentioning Hope when they order.
- We have Over 150 amazing auction items for your bidding pleasure: teacher experiences, free dress passes, family sporting events, vacation homes, beautiful jewelry, amazing class baskets and so much more!
- NEW!!!! The class with the most parent tickets purchased by Friday at 5:00 pm will win an ice cream party provided by the PTH!
- Thank you to everyone who purchased an Incredible SUPER Virtual Family Ticket on or before 4/29/2022. The winner of the early bird raffle is Mr. Jon Johnson. Congratulations Mr. Johnson you have won The West Seattle Thriftway’s Mariners package valued at $350.00!
TEACHER APPRECIATION WEEK
Teacher Appreciation Week began Sunday, May1st with door decorations and will end Saturday, May 7th with the Incredible, Super Virtual Auction. See link below:
- Tuesday: Breakfast (provided by PTH)
- Wednesday: Super specialist and teacher appreciation! Bring your teacher flowers, draw them a picture or write a note.
- Thursday: Sweet Treats (packaged individually please**)
- Friday: Lunch provided by the PTH
- Link to sign up: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/20F0545ADA823AAFA7-teacher5
If you would like to bless teachers, specialists & staff, please click on the following link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1r_plP7xwi3Cbr05c3emRoNh5_e_U_NQzEFZPzE9Y4nY/edit#gid=0
A big thank you to all the parents and families that decorated the doors on Sunday- they look SUPER! We look forward to being Superhero’s for Hope together this Saturday, May 7th! Email email@example.com with any questions.
More PIP Hour Opportunities!
*Mowing: The school/church is also looking for someone who would be willing to mow the front and side yard of the Hope Lutheran Campus once a week or as needed. We have an electric mower available to use. Contact Mrs. Rice at firstname.lastname@example.org
*Classroom Help: Reach out to your children’s teachers – many may need help chaperoning field trips, preparing classroom activities/projects and/or planning for end-of -school year parties.
*7th Grade families – Assistance needed in organizing parents to bring food, cake, and decorations for our 8th grade Graduation Ceremony coming up this June. Traditionally, our 7th Grade families support this event each year so that the 8th grade families may spend their evening celebrating their Graduate.
Animal Shelter Supply Drive May 8, 2022
Have any pet supplies you don’t need? Donate them! A pet supply drive is being hosted to collect things for shelter animals in need. All supplies will be donated to P.A.W.S Seattle.
A Hope student is collecting these items for his confirmation project and as a way to give back to the community to help confirm his faith in Christ.
When: Sunday, May 8th from 11:30am to 3:00pm;
Where: Hope Lutheran Church – LOWER PARKING LOT
4456 42nd Ave. SW, Seattle, 98116
Hope Lutheran Summer Camp
Summer Camp Registration is open! All Hope students in grades preschool through fifth grade are welcome to sign up! Fun themes include art, sports, animals, science, and drama. Space is limited and usually fills up quickly, so please sign up here.
Lil’ Saints Basketball and Volleyball Summer Camp – June 20-24, 2022
Join us at camp! Is your child interested in playing volleyball or basketball? At volleyball camp your student, 5th-9th grade, will receive instruction on passing, setting the ball, spiking and serving, and scrimmage, etc. Our basketball camp is for grade 1- 5 and campers will receive instruction on dribbling, passing, shooting, rebounding, playing defense, etc. Alongside the Head coach, there will be high school coaches to help your child grow in the game of basketball and learn valuable life lessons. To register, click here.